Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Lesson From A Child

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" Mathew 7:1&2

I have really been stretched in this area lately. God has been teaching me so much in the last 6 months. I am human. I am not perfect. I judge people on their outward appearance more than I would like to admit. This is a little glimpse of how God has been using my 1.5 year old daughter to teach me!

The other day, Pea and I were walking down the main street past the old Lee Tavern. Pea decided she would climb the front steps and go down the other side. There were a few people sitting on the other side of the steps, people I see around town all the time. One of the girls actually lives behind me and yet I have never talked to her in my life. She is in her mid 30's, heavily tattooed and always wears ratty clothing that is either too big or too small for her. I always just thought of her as a "true Smithsfallian". The people she was with were no different. Grungy and unkept. As Pea went up the stairs on the one side, she decided she would go to the other side where the people were sitting, walk right in between them, sit down and hold their hands. At this moment, my heart just broke. This little girl, no fear, no second thoughts. She didn't see the tattoos or the grungy clothes. She saw a child of God. A person. She didn't look at the yellow rotten teeth. Pea saw a human being, no different than her, no different than me and instead of walking past ignoring them, she decided she would go sit down right in the middle of them all and hold their hands. Is that not what we are all called to do? I was hit hard the other day, right in the face by my own daughter. It's amazing what you can learn from a 1.5 year old.

1 comment: